Stephen's Appearance Schedule
- Appalachian Culture Fest, Cincinnati Museum Center 2/20
- Preserving Family Stories 4/7
- Appalachian Festival, Old Coney, Cincinnati 5/7-9
- Celtic Stories Lutherhostel, Beavercreek 5/15/10
- 9/24-25-26, 2010 TBA
- Sycamore Country Club, Storytelling Santa 12/5
- Sycamore Country Club, Storytelling Santa 12/12
- Sycamore Country Club, Storytelling Santa 12/19
Stories, Old Ragged Verse, Letters to and from mountain cousins by Storyteller and Appalachian Humorist Stephen Hollen. Enjoy the humor and bittersweet memories of Eastern Kentucky and a place where the mist crawls down the mountainside ''like molasses on a cold plate''
Early Morning Dreams
Well before the dawn,before my neighbors rise
I stood and watched the clouds move slow
Majestic as they sail across the sky above my head.
The high winds have pushed them tight
They appear to be washboards in the heavens
As if a wondrous giant wash woman waits
For dawn and a new day to scrub away yesterday.
Frost is painted on roof, fence and grass
Sparkling like the stars that twinkle and play Hide and seek in the blue morning sky.
It is so quiet now, no spring peepers or songbirds
No roosters, old dogs or even the sounds of cars and commerce
Just the quiet that is before the dawn.
As I stand in the cold morning I remember dreams and wonders
Dreams of spaceships and other worlds that surely spin
Around the very stars I see in my sky.
Dreams of fairies, dwarves, heroes and elves, giants, gryphons,
And wings that spring from my back, a wondrous surprise
As I spread wings and reach out to the winds and rise up and fly.